Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 4: Carbon Leaf


We have a few hours to unwind (read: eat and nap) before the Carbon Leaf show later in the evening. The sailaway show has left such a happy glow, that we don’t really care.

I’m excited to finally see Carbon Leaf. I’ve had several GBS fans recommend their music and live shows. Similarly, they don't have one specific sound. Alt / Folk rock probably the closest description that fits them.

I am not disappointed. I like their sound and stage presence. Lead singer Barry jokes about the wind causing him to have Bon Jovi hair. (Actually, I think his stage persona is more INXS Michael Hutchence).

We notice all of GBS watching at one point or another. Towards the end of the show, Barry asks, "Are there any Canadians here?" (About half the cruise). Sean hops up on stage and states "I'm Canadian." He proceeds to lead them in singing an a cappella "Hangin' Johnny." Unclear whether they've ever sang it before... but I do learn from Bonnie that the two bands have toured together in the past.

Totally enjoyed Carbon Leaf. Will have to pick up more of their CDs.

We end the evening watching a couple of the comedians (which started at midnight every night).

No comments: