Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 4: pre-show GBS sailaway


Diana and I returned from Grand Cayman after the boat ride. Mary stays awhile to shop for some fabulous jewelry. I consciously decided to avoid temptation by NOT looking at the jewelry -- decided that it would be much less expensive if I spend my time staking out a viewing spot for the GBS sailaway show.

We secure our location at stage front. For the record, we are not the first people there. We have a good time chatting with other fans. It's all quite civil -- no one has a problem with holding your place as we come and go -- fetching food, running back to the room to change, etc. -- we even decide who wants to be on which side of the stage. I opt for "stage Bob" (stage right). It really cool talking to people who saw GBS for the first time the night before and were now in the front rows as fans. (Okay, I'm also a little jealous that they didn't have to wait a year between their shows 1 & 2.)

While waiting, we discover that one of the photos in the big screen slideshow is of me and Mary at the pre-party gathering. I got really tired of seeing that photo over the next couple of days.

Since we're literally up close and personal... when the roadie brings out the setlist, we scope it out (and interpret their abbreviations). Is Diana's request for "End of the World" on it?

Yes - it's song #2. (Yes, this is the R.E.M. song from circa 1991.)

4:30. Showtime...we notice the boys gathering offstage. In bathrobes...

No comments: